Fish fillet 1 kg
Onion 1.5 kg
Garlic 200 gm
Ginger 100 gm
Green chillies 15 nos
Turmeric 1 tsp
Pepper powder 2 tbsp
Chilli powder 3 tbsp
Coriander Powder 6 tbsp
Fenugreek powder 1 tsp
White vinegar 1 litre
Salt to taste
Coconut or vegetable oil 2 cups
- Cut the fish into half inch cubes. Marinate the fish in turmeric, a little chilli powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Chop the onions into thin slices. Grate the garlic and ginger. Slit the green chillies.
- Fry the onions in oil till brown and crisp. Remove into a dry vessel. Fry the ginger, garlic and green chillies till no water and keep aside. Medium fry the fish pieces and keep aside.
- To the rest of the oil add the chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder and fry till crisp.
- Add the fried onions, ginger, garlic and chillies and mix well. Add vinegar to the mixture and bring to a boil on a slow flame. Add enough salt.
- Add the fish pieces and stir carefully so that the pieces do not break.
- Boil till the mixture starts to thicken. Off the gas. Add the fenugreek powder and keep covered on the hot stove. Check the spices and salt and add if required.
- When it is cooled down, transfer to dry glass jars. Add 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves on top and cover with an airtight lid.